Since its foundation on December 2nd, 1971, the United Arab Emirates has adopted the principles of peace, mutual respect and good neighborliness, as key guidelines of the country’s foreign policy established by the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan. Building on the heritage of the UAE founding father, the wise visionary leadership of H.H. Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the UAE continues the march actively contributing to the welfare of nations regardless of color, race or ethnicity – a trait that stems from profound Islamic belief of peace and tolerance.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) represents the foundations of the UAE Society and serves as its window to the outer world, communicating the thoughts and vision of the UAE leadership, asserting the values of human brotherhood, and calling for lifting the suffering of humans. The Ministry promotes the importance of attaining global peace and amicably resolving disputes through dialogue.
Through its embassies, directorates and diplomatic missions around the world, as well as ambassadors, representatives and diplomats, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is perceived as the link between the wise leadership of the UAE and the World as a whole. The Ministry strives to enhance friendship and collaboration with other countries on political, economic or cultural levels by adopting principles set by the leadership that aim at protecting people and widening their intellectual and cultural horizons as well as developing the human civilization concepts and supporting pillars of economic and cultural development and the foundations of peace in the world – efforts that have earned the UAE citizen wide respect everywhere in the world, and enhanced the image of the UAE on the regional and international arenas.
The Ministry undertakes several responsibilities as stipulated by the constitution of the UAE and federal laws and in line with the country’s principles. As per to the Cabinet resolution No. 6 of (2001) on the organizational structure, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is mandated with several tasks and specializations that comprise.
- Settings the country’s foreign policy, supervising the execution thereof, and coordinating with other competent authorities in the country.
- The Ministry also undertakes the supervision of all foreign relations, including: organizing the country’s participation in organizations, conferences, and exhibitions.
- Protecting the interests of the country and its citizens abroad.
- Entering pacts and conventions that the country is willing to seal.
- Gathering, analyzing and evaluating political and economic information, organizing communications between the country’s ministries and related departments and between agencies and governments.
- Highlighting the image of the country and its values and policy.
- Conducting all ceremonies and formalities for missions that represent the country.
- Issuance and renewal of diplomatic and special passports for citizens, issuance and renewal of ordinary passports for citizens abroad.
- Providing visas to enter the country or for transit on ordinary or diplomatic passports.
- Preparing and providing diplomatic, consulate, administrative and financial information to enable the country’s representative missions to conduct their tasks, and supervising all the countries diplomatic and consulate missions.
The UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs has appointed three Emirati women as ambassadors in Sweden, Spain and Montenegro, asserting that women represent an integral part of the UAE society, whose efforts contribute, along with their fellow Emirati men, towards catalyzing the sustainable development the UAE is witnessing.
The late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the founding father of the UAE, laid the cornerstones of the country’s foreign policy. “The Foreign policy of the UAE aims at supporting Arab and Islamic issues and interests and strengthening the friendship and collaboration ties with all other countries, based on the UN convention and the internationally recognized morals and ethics. Our young country has achieved tremendous success on the international level, and its noble principles have earned prominent regional and international recognition. Our policy is based upon the principles of Rights, Justice and Peace, driven by our faith that peace is an urgent need for the human race.”
For more details :